Wednesday 14 December 2011

Walking with Toddlers



Toddlers don't understand the concept of walking as a function. For them it is a chance just to amble about while staring at bricks and clumps of earth and marvelling at how they came to be on the pavement.

They double back, walk sideways and often simply stop walking altogether before staring attentively up into the sky.

Instead of getting cross and trying to hurry them on, embrace the way they follow one impulse of curiosity after another.

Toddlers are the masters of instinct. Once you have rejected your agitated impulses that seem intent on driving you on and on you will discover what it truly means to be relaxed.

At first this process may be frustrating for a hassled adult, but once you have abandoned the hope of being somewhere at a specific time you will find yourself revelling in a state of childlike torpor.

While following this nobler means of perambulation the world around you will begin to morph into a more magical place.

Sticks you would have otherwise trodden over turn into the staffs and swords that swoosh through the air to the echo of brave, long-forgotten heroes.

"The fundamental job of a toddler is to rule the universe".
~~ Lawrence Kutner



These are photos of my beloved Joseph when he was a toddler. He is now 5 years old and will be starting school in 2012. I feel so blessed to have shared one day a week for 5 years looking at the world with this beautiful soul.














12 comments:

Who you callin' housewife? said...

I have let my holiday preparations speed up my life and take over. I'm going to do my best to think and act like a toddler for the next couple of weeks. I will try to avoid having a temper tantrum, but if it happens, it happens. Great post!!!

Marit said...

Oh, how your post brought back sweet memories... yes, I too 'followed' my own toddler on his winding paths (he's 19 now, marching on with his long legs and big feet *teehee*) You are so right - the world turns into a magical place that way. Those memories are so precious!

Christine said...

Joseph was so sweet! I love toddlers. Walking's their first step out into the world!

Mike Smith said...

Brilliant pics, Peggy. He's a wee star!

xxx said...

As much as I adore toddlers I am pleased to have my much adored son beyond those years.
So much easier to appreciate those wonderful, magical times from a distance :)
I now enjoy my Great niece who toddles about.
Oh the tasks that go with having a toddler every moment during that time of discovery.

Beautiful post Peggy...
Merry Christmas and all the best wishes for the coming year x

xxx said...

PS... i forgot to mention just how lovable your little man looks and how lucky he is to have you as part of his life.
I like the way you view our world Peggy

Ninon Jean-Claire said...

This is kid is TOO adorable. Goodness!

Anonymous said...

Yes we can learn a lot from toddlers. How lovely it is to be swept into their world for an hour or so.

Chapter Forty said...

I love those photos of Joseph pointing. You have captured his looks of wonder at the world.

They are such little detectives finding out and noticing all that we take for granted.

You are both so lucky to have each other, there will always be a special spot in his heart for you I am sure.

His parents are also so blessed to have someone else to share him with.

miruspeg said...

Thanks dear friends for visiting and for your kind comments.
Warmest heart hugs to you all.
Namaste
Peggy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marja said...

I've worked with todlers for a while and you're spot on. Joseph is such a cute one. You must have had a great time with him.
I am looking forwards to see you next year. you have a merry christmas and an absolutely fantastic New Year. Arohanui marja

miruspeg said...

Hey Marja!
Joseph and I still have a great time when we see each other. We regularly talk on the phone....he is such a chatter box!
Can't wait to see you again too my friend.....lots and lots to catch up on.
Take care and stay safe. :-)