Monday 19 December 2011

Choices Not Goals

It is amazing by changing the use of a word, we can change our thought patterns.

When I thought of the word "goal" I thought of the word "should" and that lead me to rebelling against achieving my project/task.

By changing the word to "choice", I felt freer and less stressed. I found it to be a much more powerful motivator and the pressure subsided.

Consequently there is no timeframe when I "choose" to do the project, resulting in a pleasurable experience as opposed to the pressure of achieving a "goal".

Once again it comes back to enjoying the journey rather than focusing on a specific destination.

So I choose to be open minded and curious and accept my shortcomings, just as I welcome the rainbow.

I also choose to accept and love myself unconditionally and to love, nourish and take care of my body.

Today I choose to embrace the silver lining of my imperfections and as always am thankful for the abundant blessings I have in my life.

"Each of us literally chooses, by his way of attending to things, what sort of universe he shall appear to himself to inhabit."
~~ William James



I want to be like this tree on Sydney Harbour, I want to grow and succeed even when the odds are stacked against me. Photo taken October 2011.

6 comments:

Chapter Forty said...

I can also choose to indulge when I know I shouldn't. Have another glass of wine or another piece of chocolate. I can choose to be happy today, choose to enjoy doing the dishes, choose to tackle to the washing pile. Or choose to free myself of burden.

A goal can be rigid and uncompromising. It may force you to take steps in a direction you would not chose to go normally. But that might work out ok.

Choice is freedom, on one side of the coin or burden with too much choice on another.

Such a thought provoking post...again.

Thank you for being here for me in internet land. I so appreciate your comments.

xxx

Cozyflier said...

Hello Peggy! Wonderful post as usual. I will now look at my holiday baking as a choice, my Christmas Dinner menu as a choice!

The holiday stress will disappear!

thanks my friend.

Hugs,
Carrie

Christine said...

I'm going to try this, Peggy, this should help us type 'A's.

Anonymous said...

I like the quote!!

And I too choose to 'embrace the silver lining of my imperfections'! Great line. I might steal it ;o)

All writers are thieves!!

HappyOrganist said...

Hi Peggy =)
As a friend once said "don't should yourself"
hehehahah

oh I love that. I firmly believe in it, too. And for the record (in response to your comment) I'm *all about doing things when I want to ;) In fact, if I didn't accept myself so much, I'd consider it a flaw ☺
♥♥

Have a good day (you know I went shopping yesterday? huge mistake. huge long lines. Fortunately I was in a very good mood and took pictures with my cell phone.. and also played with the ring tones a lot. I'm sure I didn't annoy anyone in line... ^^)

Christine said...

Hope you had a great Christmas Peggy, all the best for a wonderful New Year!