Wednesday 3 April 2024

Tribute to Beryl Florence Cameron

My dear beloved Mum passed away in her sleep on 25 January 2024 at the age of 101 years, 9 months and 20 days. 05/03/1922 - 25/01/2024.

What a wonderful long life she had, an inspiration to all who knew her, generous in everyway, who will be loved forever and never forgotten.

My brother-in-law found a poem that blew me away, written by Linda Ellis called THE DASH.

Between the time we are born and the time we die, there lies a dash of events that sum up our life. According the Linda Ellis, this dash represents our whole life.

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on the tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.
 

He noted that first came the date of birth
and spoke the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.
 

For that dash represents all the time
that they spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved them
know what that little line is worth.
 

For it matters not, how much we own --
the cars...the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.
 

So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged.
 

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.
 

And be less quick to anger
and show appreciation more,
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.
 

If we treat each other with respect
and more often wear a smile,
remembering this special dash
might only last a little while.
 

So, when your eulogy is being read
with your life's actions to rehash,
would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent YOUR dash?


Mum and I at the Kirribilli Club in Sydney celebrating her 101st birthday in March 2023.

 


8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

What a lovely poem! I can imagine your sorrow. No matter her age or yours, it is hard to lose your mom. Mine is with me every day but has been gone for 15+ years. So sorry for your loss.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So sorry to hear of your Mom's passing, Peggy. What a wonderful photo of the two of you. And that poem certainly says it all. May your memories continue to be a source of comfort to you while you grieve.

Bill Lisleman said...

Sad. When that final date closes your life, it leaves those who you touched sadness and feeling of emptiness.
The poem gives us another way to view our lives. I'm very glad you shared the poem with us. All the best my friend. Keep making the best of your dash.

Christine said...

So very sorry Peggy, she lived a long full life, wow.

Kathy G said...

No matter how old our parents are it leaves a huge hole in our heart when they die.

miruspeg said...

Hi Marie, Debra, Bill, Christine and Kathy
Thanks for your kind words. That poem speaks volumes and I for one will be living my life with the poem's words in my thoughts.

I don't feel a great sadness with the loss of my mother, in January her quality of life deteriorated and that was sad seeing her that way.

I miss her very much but the memories she left us we will treasure forever.

Take care my friend.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

Marja said...

A big hug my dear friend Your mum did have a long life. I love the photo of you and her. you both shine xx
I have read this poem before It is beautiful and full of wisdom

miruspeg said...

Hey Marja
Thanks for the big hug my friend.
Glad to hear you know of the poem, I am not surprised because you live your life according to the Dash!
Big hugs
Peggy xxx