Wednesday 23 January 2019

Delightful Spell Broken

After a busy day I sometimes find myself lying on the couch drifting off into a hypnagogic state in front of a monotonously TV screen.

My brain is just awake enough to inform me that at this point I should really get up, brush my teeth, wash my face, get undressed and lollop into bed.

However, if I do get up, brush my teeth, wash my face and get undressed then by the time I am ready to lollop into bed, I'll be wide awake again and the delightful spell will be broken.

So instead I revel freely in the moment that sleep threatens to envelop me.

The enchantment in nodding off and then nodding awake a few minutes later is like a gentle rollercoaster that goes slowly enough to be thrilling while managing to avoid the unpleasantness of any theme park sensations.

Next time this happens to you my friends, remain motionless, allow your mind to wander off and enjoy the thrill of sleeping in your clothes.

Leave the TV warbling to itself and luxuriate in the sensation of stalking slumber.

When you wake in the small hours with a slight chill, you can sleepwalk to your bedroom before your duvet greedily swallows you whole.

"Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night"
~~ Dave Barry

Taken in Norway in July 2010 - boat in fog

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's nothing worse than waking up with a stiff neck, though, from falling asleep on the couch.

miruspeg said...

Yes Debra that is the only drawback from falling asleep on the couch.
Be well my friend.
Peggy xxxx

Christine said...

I really must get to bed before I doze off.

miruspeg said...

Maybe Christine but every once in a while enjoy the enchantment of nodding off.
Take care
Peggy xxx

Bill Lisleman said...

Dave Barry - it's been many years since I read his columns. I had a couple of his books.
lollop - new word for me. It had me thinking of lob. It's easier to lob a ball than a lobster.
The napping idea is fine if you are not operating a motor vehicle or any motor thing. There are times I could use the ability to sleep sitting up.

miruspeg said...

Hey Bill
I just looked up Dave Barry and he has a twitter account so he is still alive and well.
I am not surprised you don't recognise lollop as it is from British dialect.
And yes napping should be confined to the couch not is a motor vehicle.
Take care mate.
Peggy xx

Marja said...

haha didn't know lollop is a real word. Just reading your relaxing words makes me nod off. I don't fall easily asleep on the couch but when I touch the bed I am gone Zzzz

Mike Smith said...

I make a business out of getting people to drift off into a hypnagogic state...Hope you're surviving the scorching summer, my friend.

miruspeg said...

Hey Marja
Yep lollop is a real word according to the dictionary it means to move in an ungainly way in a series of clumsy paces or bounds.
In mid 18th century: probably from loll, associated with trollop!

I fall asleep really easily on the couch BUT it takes me about 1/2 hour to get to sleep when in bed!
Be well my friend
Peggy xxx

miruspeg said...

Hi Mike
Hope your business is going well.
The scorching summer in Australia is very debilitating, I'm spending a lot more time inside.
How is sunny Scotland!
Take care my friend
Peggy xxxx

Good and plenty said...

This is so right. I had a bad habit or getting a second wind when I disrupted that enchanted sleep drift which descents on me swiftly by becoming efficient again. Now, when I know I'm not going to leave my house again take off my clothes and makeup and am ready to fall asleep wherever I'm sitting when the feeling comes. I've even been known to kick dinner with the jammies on especially in the late fall and winter when it gets dark so early. Thank you for sharing this bit of wisdom.

miruspeg said...

Hey Candelaria
The winter days/nights are ideal for relaxing in our homes in very comfortable clothes doing as we please with no agendas.
I am learning we don't have to be productive every day, some days we can embrace boredom and see where that takes us.
Take care my friend
Peggy xxxx

Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful picture of Norway.
Have a great day