Friday 1 May 2015

Do You Ask Enough Questions?

Asking the right question in order to get ourselves thinking, really thinking - there is so much truth in this.

When we can ask that question, at the right moment, and that gives us clarity of direction, how powerful this can be in our lives. And set us off in a direction that has deep meaning to us individually.

I believe very much that this is where it’s at - when we can reach that spot of deep meaning in our own lives - getting to this spot is so life affirming.

These questions I found while surfing the web have no right or wrong answers, because sometimes asking the right questions is the answer.

1. How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?

3. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?

4. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

5. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

6. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

7. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?

8. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

9. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

10. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

11. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

12. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

13. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

14. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?

15. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

16. Decisions are being made right now. The question is: Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?

"I cannot stress enough that the answer to life's questions is often in people's faces.  Try putting your iPhones down once in a while, and look in people's faces.  People's faces will tell you amazing things, like if they are angry or nauseous or asleep"
~~ Amy Poehler


I took this photo in January 2011 when hiking with friends at Seal Cave, near Stoney Bay on the Banks Peninsula Track on the South Island of New Zealand. It would be a perfect spot to contemplate some of these questions.




16 comments:

Christine said...

great, thinking questions todsy Peggy, thanks. And I love that 'what's up' non-blonde song.

miruspeg said...

Glad you liked the post Christine and I LOVE this song too, haven't heard it in ages.
Take care
Peggy xxxx

Bill Lisleman said...

"What's Up" - a favorite in my Itunes list.

Question 10 - only wrong answers - almost like a Sophie's choice question. I like the other questions.

I would change #13 - replace "you strongly believed in" with "stub your big toe". Always need a bit of humor in this stuff. Makes sure people are not just skimming through it.

miruspeg said...

Hey Bill
Another fan of "What's Up"! Linda Perry has great screaming skills doesn't she! Just checked when the song was released - 1993 (over 20 years ago)

Thanks for your feedback about the questions and I agree a bit of humour inserted would be worthwhile, although these days not many people read whole posts as skimming is the preferred way. That is why Twitter is successful with only 140 characters per post.

Take care
Peggy xxxx

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those are deep and thoughtful questions! Answers to each one would be a blog post in and of itself!

miruspeg said...

They certainly are deep and meaningful questions Debra and one day I may expand them into a blog post or I might choose over time to select a few and run with them.....decisions, decisions!
Take care new friend
Peggy xxxxx

Mike Smith said...

Thought-provoking, Peggy - thanks for sharing. Mrs Smith often has a conversation with me during which I say nothing...

Take care, my friend.

miruspeg said...

Hi Mike
So Number 11 is the question you are referring to. Good choice.
I must try saying nothing sometimes, but oh that will be so difficult, especially if I have had a drink or two.
You take care too and keep shining.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxxx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Peggy, nice to hear from you again. I thought you had stopped blogging some time back. My son takes a TOK class (theory of knowledge) and they are challenged to ask questions for which there is no answer. Sure makes one think. :) Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

miruspeg said...

Hi Tammy
Never officially stopped blogging and these days I post about once or twice a month. I love the blogosphere, way better than Facebook.
I must confess I do love Pinterest, I find it very relaxing.

What an interesting class your son is taking, TOK. He can use some of these questions if he wishes.

Thanks for popping over my friend and look forward to reading many more of your posts.

Take care
Peggy xxxxx

Beautiful Sky said...

Hee hee - that quote at the end made me giggle. Look at the other person - who might be asleep!!!! You would kind of get the hint that you were being a bit boring eh? LOL! But I agree - it's not always the right answers that help but the right questions. Some you have listed we should ask ourselves daily while others are quite profound and could be pondered for weeks. I have a question: which one of these questions will you choose for your next blogpost?

miruspeg said...

Hey Celia (Beautiful Sky)
I love that I made you giggle with that quote by Amy Poehler, she certainly has a sense of humour.
I read these questions often now I have made them into a blog post, they are certainly food for thought.

OK I will take up your challenge and my next blog post will be in reference to question 7:
"What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?"

Take care over in the UK.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxxxx

Relyn Lawson said...

I love these questions. I just love questions in general. Have you seen the Question A Day Diary? I love that, too.

miruspeg said...

Hello dear Relyn
Lovely to see a comment from you my friend.
I do love questions, especially ones that make me think.
When I meet new people I love finding out what makes them tick so I ask heaps of questions.

I haven't heard of the "Question A Day Diary", I'll check it out.

Keep shining Relyn.
Peggy xxxxxx

Marit said...

It's been too long since I visited your blog... now, at the end of the afternoon, I suddenly thought about you and surfed your way, to find these awesome questions. Some things to contemplate over when I sip my wine (which is in a minute... off to my beloved to 'chill before dinner') I'll raise my glass to you dear one, hope you are well. Big hug from Holland

miruspeg said...

Hello dear Marit
How lovely to see your comment. It sure has been a long time since we touched base and I just popped over to your blog to see what you have been up to.

I will raise my glass to you my friend tonight while I am rugged up by the heater, it is a bit chilly at night now in Sydney Australia.

Look forward to reading more of your blog posts Marit, until then take care and keep shining.

With love
Peggy xxxxx