Friday 22 April 2011

Turning Pain Into Knowledge

Sometimes when I think back on various phrases of my life, it’s hard not to think of all the hurt.

The misunderstandings, the pain, the missed connections. The ways that I screwed up.

The residual frustration about all the ways that other people - weren’t able to be the people I wanted them to be, which by the way is not their fault!

All that time spent being annoyed about how hard it is when you "can’t get blood from a stone".

My focus was in the wrong place.

But here’s what the Word of the Year reminds me to do:

I am allowed to have my grief and my pain. And I can also look at all that agony and remember that it’s business school tuition.

Instead of a diploma, I can just frame the Word of the Year and put it on my wall. And look forward to the next one, because it will be unbelievably useful.

We all have our stuff. We’re all working on our stuff. It’s a process.

We let people have their own experience, and we don’t give unsolicited advice.


"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."
~~ Lao Tzu



Spent a lovely day with Charlie and Joseph on 13 April 2011. We caught a ferry from Manly to the city and Charlie who is not quite seven took this photo of the seagull landing near where we were sitting.








8 comments:

Cameron said...

Holding on to negativity and regret is such a waste of precious energy, right?!

I wish the 2 sides of my brain talked to eachother more :)

Bagman and Butler said...

I really identify with your comments. Looking back is always a learning experience...and also reminds me that I should look forward more. Someone told me recently that the windshield is larger than the rear view mirror for a reason.

Mike Smith said...

Those who predict don't have knowledge. How very true - I've been playing the national lottery for months now without so much as a bean...Hope you have a braw weekend Peggy.

Christine said...

Life's like that, alternately painful, then there are the joys.

What a lovely day in the harbour!

Anonymous said...

It takes a while - but you can usually learn something from a painful experience - even if it is to simply not put yourself through it again.

If only knowledge didn't have to be so hard won! Maybe this is at the root of the expression 'Ignorance is bliss' (!)

Chapter Forty said...

I am loving the Bagman's comment about the rear view mirror. I have to admit I rarely look back, I have a terrible memory which helps. I think my own personal philosophy is that the past shapes us into who we are today its really up to us whether events make us stronger, wiser or bitter and twisted. As Scarlet O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day"

I am looking forward to taking my kids on the Manly ferry one day, such a great trip. And that boy needs his own camera, what a shot.

Lilly said...

"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."
~~ Lao Tzu


Wow, how true. It's a journey we are all on and its so different for each of us. The secret is to learn the lessons though so that the journey hoepfully becomes less painful as we go. I am glad I am at th eother end of it and that whatever comes in the future I will be toughened up to deal with it all.

Love this post Peggy, it is one of your best!!

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

I just love your philosophy and your outlook on life. Your posts are such an inspiration for me. So glad to call you my friend.