Friday 9 August 2024

Best Friends

The best friends are those who can tickle your brain, make you laugh, have a great sense of humour, are witty, just have the right dose of sarcasm and are critically honest yet remain kind.

You volley back and forth ideas and engage in intellectual fencing, agreeing, or opposing without rending or wounding each other. You are both thoughtful without being morose, and silly without being foolish. You may opine upon and critique a range of ideas or persons without engaging in calumny.

Between you, honesty is not negotiable and loyalty is standard. Trust is the tie that binds. You share that which matters the most. Caring glues you together. You laugh together, a lot. You watch out for each other, catch each other when you fall.

You may be in each other's company, yet remain taciturn. You spend time away from each other without weakening your bond. You may be near together yet allow yourselves to wander silently in your own minds, thinking, reading, meditating. You are never bored with one another because neither of you are boring.

Many people go through life looking for such friends. If you find even just one, you have more than enough. It took you a long time to get where you are. Keep each other.

  • "Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years." — Richard Bach
  • One of my best friends, now departed this world in 2019.  This photo of Rod and I taken in 2006 at a hat party.  Miss you my friend.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Sorry you lost a good friend.

miruspeg said...

Thanks Christine, we all miss him very much, we were the gang of 6 and did everything together since 1982.

Marja said...

Happy to call you a friend You are a wonderful person. A shame you live so far away. A nice philosophical post of what a friend is. I am afraid I don't live up to that picture but at least I try. Still have to learn a lot. Sorry about your friend Rod and I see you have some beautiful memories together. You take care my friend xxx

miruspeg said...

I am so blessed to call you my friend too Marja. The Richard Bach quote speaks volumes about our friendship, I feel we clicked that first instance we met online and then in real life. You are a treasure I greatly value.
Big heart hugs
Peggy xxxx