Saturday 13 July 2024

Remember Back When

Remember back when you were a kid? You would just do things. You never thought to yourself, “What are the relative merits of learning tennis versus soccer?” You just ran around the playground and played tennis and soccer. 

You built sand castles and played tag and asked silly questions and looked for bugs and dug up grass and pretended you were a sewer monster. 

Nobody told you to do it, you just did it. You were led merely by your curiosity and excitement. 

And the beautiful thing was, if you hated tennis, you just stopped playing it. There was no guilt involved. There was no arguing or debate. You either liked it or you didn’t. 

And if you loved looking for bugs, you just did that. There was no second-level analysis of, “Well, is looking for bugs really what I should be doing with my time as a child? Nobody else wants to look for bugs, does that mean there’s something wrong with me? How will looking for bugs affect my future prospects? 

There was no bullshit. If you liked something, you just did it.

A child does not walk onto a playground and say to herself, “How do I find fun?” She just goes and has fun. 

If you have to look for what you enjoy in life, then you’re not going to enjoy anything.

And the real truth is that you already enjoy something. You already enjoy many things. You’re just choosing to ignore them.

“You never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”
― Dr. Seuss



Joseph back in 2008 enjoying interacting with the lambs


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy, a very good message today, don't overthink life I guess. -Christine cmlk79.blogspit.com

miruspeg said...

Hey Christine
Yes overthinking life can lead to lots of non starts.
Thanks for stopping by.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

miruspeg said...

Debra She Who Seeks has left a new comment on your post 'Remember Back When':

Very true! Down with second-level analysis!

Hey Debra
Don't know why your comment above didn't turn up on my blog....it is a mystery.
Anyway I love your analogy. Many people have lost the ability to live in the present and enjoy the simple things in life like we were when we were kids.
Keep shining my friend
Peggy xxx

Marja said...

Dear Peggy
Yes, I remember. What a treasure it was to just roam around and live. I am growing towards that now I have more time. That voice that I should be cleaning, or the like is not completely silenced yet. lol

miruspeg said...

Hey Marja
My little voice about cleaning the house weekly has disappeared especially in winter. Still enjoy gardening very much and talk to my plants every day.

My guess is being old is similar to being very young, we give ourselves permission to enjoy life without worrying about what other people think.
So forget about aging gracefully, here's to aging joyfully!

Big hugs
Peggy xxxx