Saturday 19 January 2019

Ethics or Religion

To say religion is better than ethics or visa versa is pointless.

Both classes offer children choice and some guiding principles that will hopefully encourage kids to be thoughtful, critical thinkers for the future.

Neither classes "own" morality which is ultimately something they see enacted around them not forced on them to gratify any adults view of the world.

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement. I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms."
~~ Mary Oliver

This quote is in memory of the late Mary Oliver who died 17 January 2019. Thank you beloved poet and bard of the natural world, you will be missed.

Kurobe Gorge Railway, Toyama, Japan, October 2018



9 comments:

Marja said...

Great wisdom and I totally agree Children learn the most from us modeling and certainly can't be forced. If the latter happens you see often the children behaving when the controlling parent is there and as soon as he/she is gone the good behaviour goes out of the window.
Great quote from Mary lets all be amazed :) xxxx arohanui

miruspeg said...

Thanks for adding to the conversation Marja.
Let's wake up each day and say how can I make this day amazing!!
Namaste
Peggy xxxx

Christine said...

That is a beautiful quote from Mary Oliver, may she rest in peace. I love your photo wow.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I agree! And RIP Mary Oliver, a favourite poet of mine. Her poems made the world a better place.

miruspeg said...

Hey Christine and Debra
Mary Oliver certainly did make the world a better place and has left a great legacy. It’s difficult to imagine that the source of so much beauty about language and the world has left. But the comfort that I am already taking from re-reading her poems is making it easier to breathe. She has left behind so much work that will continue to offer solace and instruction and reminders. But damnit. I mourn knowing that great voice is stilled.
Peggy xx

Mike Smith said...

Wise words as always, Peggy. Marion often says to me she is a bride married to amazement...

miruspeg said...

Thanks for always putting a smile on my dial Mike!!
Be well my friend.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

Good and plenty said...

Such a lovely and profound quote. Thank you for sharing.

miruspeg said...

Yes Candelaria a wonderful quote written by an amazing soul.
Be well my friend
Peggy xxxx