Letter to be given to Joseph on his 18th birthday:
Dear Joe, may angel face friend
- Don't listen to baby boomers who tell you you've got to slow down and "smell the roses". We never took that advice when we were young and neither should you. Throw yourself at life!
- Don't cross the road with your iPod on....or whatever the devise is called in 2025.
- Never get into a fight with your neighbours. Apologise. Make Peace. Buy them a case of beer......anything.
- When meeting someone over lunch, the way they treat the waiter is a better guide to their character than how they treat you.
- Eat your vegetables and clean your teeth.
- You are what you eat but also what you read and watch and hear. Don't feed your brain with rubbish, at least not all the time.
- Don't be negative. Whingeing is for people who want to blame others for their troubles, because it's easier than finding their own way forward. If a friend makes a habit of bad-mouthing other people, take a moment to wonder what they say about you. Spend your mental energy on people who think you are terrific, not people who dislike you.
- Tread carefully if a friend asks you to counsel them about their love life. Never agree with their assessment that their ex-partner is horrid, as they will make up the next day.
- Never ignore an invitation to dance.
- Never buy an expensive umbrella as you'll lose it within the month.
- Don't be tight with your money when it comes to your friends or charity.
- Surround yourself with people who bring out your best side; people in whose company you become fabulous, funny and wise.
- Remember the most important decision you'll ever make isn't about career or investments, it's your choice of life partner.
"To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing." ~~ Author Unknown
Joseph - March 2010, Cromer, Sydney - In our favourite park.