Wednesday 7 April 2021

Deja Vu Sensations

There are many theories as to what causes déjà vu.

One says that our "spirit" can actually travel faster in time than our earthbound bodies so it charges off into the future from time to time for reasons we can't explain.

Another claims that it's because we are reincarnated and old memories from past lives are seeping through into our current consciousness.

And then there's the parallel Universe theory that suggests our lives are always splitting off into different directions whenever we make big decisions and that at the point of experiencing déjà vu we are connecting with these parallel worlds.

All of which rather ignores the actual sensation of déjà vu that is simply joyous and mesmerising regardless of what it actually is.

Déjà vu experiences stay with us too, logging themselves into our memory banks where they can be withdrawn whenever those "déjà vu" conversations occur, usually over a few glasses of wine late at night!


"There's an opposite to déjà vu. They call it jamais vu. It's when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar."
~~ Chuck Palahniuk



Visiting Norway in July 2010 and we stopped at this place for a short while, an eeriness came over me as I photographed this scene. I wanted to hop in that boat and paddle into the mist.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I used to have deja vue experiences when I was young (teen, 20s) but haven't had any in years. Now I'm struggling more with jamais vue, LOL!

Christine said...

I have had deja vu feelings.

Bill Lisleman said...

jamais vu - that's a new term for me. It sounds a bit like dementia.
A fast moving spirit is a great idea. I'm slow but my spirit flies on the wind.
I wonder if deja vu is related to dreaming.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve had déjà vu but not jamais vu.

Martha said...

It gets too freaky to even think about things like this too much!

Marja said...

Oh I love the feeling of Deja Vu. Only once with a place that I felt I had been there before and several times with people.
I do believe in reincarnation so that's my strongest bet but who knows
These things make life interesting Have a good day Peggy xx

Bill Lisleman said...

Still a great post here but are you still blogging?

miruspeg said...

Hey Bill
Thanks for stopping by again, sorry for my late reply and thanks for the prompt to do another post.
I've got one in draft I will hopefully finish this week.
Take care my friend.
Peggy xxx