Sunday 24 March 2019

Life Is Better When Unrushed

The world most of us live in is hectic, fast-paced, fractured, hurried.
What’s more, most of us are conditioned to think this is the way life should be.

Life should be lived at break-neck speed, we believe. We risk our lives in cars and we break the speed limit, rushing from one place to another. We do one thing after another, multi-tasking and switching between tasks as fast as we can blink.

All in the name of productivity, of having more, of appearing busy, to ourselves and to others.

But life doesn't have to be this way. In fact, I’d argue that it’s counterproductive.

If our goal is to create, to produce amazing things, to go for quality over quantity, then rushing is not the most effective way to work. Slowing down and focusing is always more effective.

Rushing produces errors. It’s distracting to flit from one thing to the next, with our attention never on one thing long enough to give it any thought or create anything of worth.

Hurrying produces too much noise to be able to find the quiet the mind needs for true creativity and profound thinking.

So yes, moving quickly will get more done. But it won’t get the right things done.

The most important step is a realization that life is better when you move at a slower, more relaxed pace, instead of hurrying and rushing and trying to cram too much into every day. Instead, get the most out of every moment.

Is a book better if you speed read it, or if you take your time and get lost in it?

Is a song better if you skim through it, or if you take the time to really listen?

Is food better if you cram it down your throat, or if you savour every bite and really appreciate the flavour?

“Nature never rushes, yet everything gets done.”
~~ Donald L. Hicks


Just outside Christchurch, New Zealand in February 2019 we encountered this large flock of sheep.  We patiently waited at the side of the road for them to pass.
 

14 comments:

Christine said...

As I get older slowing down is a good thing, safer too. Nice photo of the sheep

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I agree with every word of this post! Slow down and enjoy the moment!

Mike Smith said...

What a brilliant post, Peggy. You always find the words that hit the right spot. I've tried telling Marion I'll do things at my own pace but she just doesn't understand...

Bill Lisleman said...

this great post reminded me of a recent acronym I learned, FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). I've come to believe much of Facebook and other social media sites depend on people's FOMO. Giving into FOMO doesn't leave you much time to relax. Instead we should have FONR = Fear Of Not Relaxing.

miruspeg said...

@Christine - Yes I agree slowing down especially when we are driving is the safest way to get from A to B.
It was quite exciting for me when we came upon the mob of sheep while driving home to Christchurch after visiting Oamaru. It took a good 5 minutes for them to pass and I also took a video.

@Debra - Thanks my friend for your support. I do have to remind myself each day to live in the moment, especially when I am out walking.

miruspeg said...

@Mike - Very generous words you have written my friend, I'm chuffed!
And as always your humour makes me smile. xxx

@Bill - Oh I love your contribution to this post Bill - FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) I agree is the key to the addiction on Social Media. If we talked about FONR (Fear Of Not Relaxing) or FOR (Fear of Relaxing) maybe it would alert us to our addiction of FOMO.

Marja said...

I am guilty wanting to do too much. Working and hobbies and cleaning etc. The good thing is I enjoy most of what I do Just might have to cut out some things like facebook. I also enjoy time daydreaming but I think that is ok as you said hurry isn't always necessary
Great food for thought my friend

Marit said...

When I read your post, I was thinking the same thing as Bill mentions... my beloved and I cannot help but smile and look at each other (rolling our eyes) when we go out for a walk and see people walking the same, beautiful places we do but not looking around to nature, no... their eyes are all focused on their telephones! It's a crazy world.

miruspeg said...

@Marja - I've seen you in action my friend and you distribute your time between your different activities and friends and family in a very healthy way......no one or no action misses out, nor do you dwell on anything/anyone that is unhealthy.
In other words you do take time to smell the roses as the saying goes.
Keep shining Marja. xxx

miruspeg said...

Hi Marit my second Dutch friend - Marja who lives in Christchurch originally came from the Netherlands.
It sure is a crazy world we live in at the moment, I too roll my eyes when out walking or having coffee and see the majority of people around me looking at their phones instead of enjoying nature or the person they are having coffee with!
Hopefully they will wake up soon and realise that there is much more to life than whatever they are watching on their phones.

Liz Hinds said...

That is one enormous flock of sheep! We get cows and sheep on the road here but not in those numbers.

I have a butterfly mind and need to slow down and focus. My next idea always seems better than the current one.

miruspeg said...

@Liz - Yes I was surprised by the number of sheep they were herding alone the road.....it was a great experience!
I like that expression "butterfly mind". I sometimes wish I had more ideas but I can see the disadvantage of too many ideas.
Hope you are having a happy week Liz.

The Liberty Belle said...

Very nice post.

miruspeg said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Liberty Belle. Much appreciated.