Friday 7 September 2018

Adaptable to Change

We work on what we need to learn

And while it's a healthy practice sometimes it sucks to be in it.

So we create safe rooms and we dance our patterns and we talk to our monsters.

We give legitimacy to the part of us who doesn't want anything to change and the part who wishes everything would change faster already.

And then we move some more things around.

Change is a given. And it’s often also incredibly uncomfortable.

There is really only one thing more important than change. And that’s the ability to adapt to it. Adaptation!

Adaptation is an intentional practice. Sometimes I will intentionally mix things up more than necessary, just to jumpstart that process of adapting.

That is why ....We work on what we need to learn!


"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
— Charles Darwin


This beautiful butterfly landed on my hand in 2012 in Christchurch.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh yes, flexibility. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.

Christine said...

Beautiful true quote by Darwin. Lovely post on inevitable change.

Bill Lisleman said...

While not certain, I think adaptability is the explanation of why humans are still roaming around.
I'll also add that diversity is an important part of adaptability. Isn't it better to take the best from a variety of things than just look at all the same stuff?

miruspeg said...

@Debra - Me too Debra, flexibility often depends on my mood!! These days I try to keep to "not so nice" Peggy in check.
Take care friend. xxx

@Christine - Yes I thought the quote rang true in so many ways Christine....I love searching for the quote that fits my words.
John C. Maxwell said “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional". I believe he was referring to personal and spiritual growth does not necessarily follow just because things change, so we have to make own decisions to achieve that.

@Bill - I agree without being able to adapt the human race may not be around in the near future, as we are certainly living in challenging times.
Diversity and adaptability are key to sustainability, also I would throw in creativity.
Thanks for adding your insights to this post Bill.
All the best xxx

Marja said...

Beautiful words and very true We are not able to control the weather nor are we able to control life so taking things as they come, letting go and having faith is helping you sail the oceans of life.
Arohanui Marja xxx

miruspeg said...

Hey friend
I love your analogy Marja "sail the oceans of life", those words reminded me of swimming with the dolphins in the open ocean in Kaikoura, New Zealand. I felt so safe and loved by those creatures.

Here's to taking things as they come with patience and dignity.
Hugs
Peggy xxxx