Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Real Things in Life - Part 2

More advice that is constantly offered:

Be Healthy!

Of course it's good to be healthy, but this advice is normally so thoroughly bundled up with shame it often does more harm than good.

Yes, people enjoy happier and longer lives if they are not carrying extra weight.

They also enjoy longer and happier lives if they are not laid low by anxiety, depression and self-contempt.

Is our central problem that we ask too little of ourselves or that we demand too much?

We hate ourselves for our every imperfection and then we over-consume in various ways to suppress the shame of that previous over-consumption.

There are two epidemics under way in the West - obesity and depression.

How interesting that both started just as people began obsessing over their body mass index.


"The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind."
~~ G.K. Chesterton

I haven't shown photos of my two favourite boys for some time.  Here are a couple taken this year.


Bella and Charlie (aged 8) hanging out together - June 2012


Joseph aged 6. Photo taken at his school art exhibition  - September 2012.


PS  Still haven't found another music site, but discovered how to add a youtube and start it playing when you click on my blog.  So much for the peace and quiet!




5 comments:

Christine said...

We have to try to be healthy in moderation I suppose.

The boys are growing up so fast!

HappyOrganist said...

Yes - healthiness in moderation =DD

and those boys *are cute. ♥ Have a good week Peggy. It's always fun to hear from you =)

Roban said...

We are an overweight lot for the most part.... And I've steadily climbed the scales myself these past few years. You're right though. Being healthy and being happy do go hand-in-hand.

Great song choice! I'm glad you were able to make your music work.

Relyn Lawson said...

I've been missing my blog-hopping time, and I wanted to pop in with a quick hello. I've been missing you. I hope you are having a very, very wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas, friend.

Mike Smith said...

Wise words, Peggy. I try to eat a balanced diet - I have a bag of chips in each hand...